Saturday, July 08, 2006

First Post

This blog is called "Continental Operative" after one of my favorite literary characters, the nameless private detective who was the antihero protagonist of several of Dashiell Hammett's bleakest noir fictions.

My favorite is "Red Harvest," in which the Op brings down all the rival and corrupt factions that poison the town of Personville. "Red Harvest" was arguably the basis for the films "Yojimbo" and "Fistful of Dollars," which also featured nameless heroes cleaning up a town by fomenting the mutual destruction of the ruling gangs.

The book is complex and brilliant, and you should all read that and all of Hammett, who filled his detective stories with complex characters, but for bloggish purposes, he symbolizes a political point my deep admiration for anyone to stand alone in the middle between two packs of seething assholes.

1 Comments:

Blogger ilyka said...

Hello, Daniel at NYU--

I will admit that I am only reading your blog because I have liked (very much) some of your comments at Feministe. I am shying away from your Pirates of the Carribean post only because I still want to see that movie, and I have this thing where I'm sometimes very obstinate about wanting to make up my own mind.

Do please keep on keeping on, though. If your comments are anything to go by, I have a feeling you can really work this bitch.

1:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home